As we know, almost all modern countries with its own national language has gone with reform of standardization. A writing system cannot be used effectively for communication unless it is standardized.
To date, however, Chữnôm has never been standardized, a Vietnamese word can be represented by variant Nôm characters, and people write Chữnôm based on their own preference. As a result, Nom texts could be misunderstood, and this inevitably causes the inefficiency and misunderstandings in communications.
Aiming at Chữnôm standardization, the Committee's "Nom Standardization Project" is designed to determine the Standard Chữnôm among many variant Nôm characters, to confirm the usage of Chữnôm and Chữhán in Pure Vietnamese words, Sino-Vietnamese words (especially Vietnamese-made Sino-Vietnamese words), and Hybrid words, as well as to determine the Chữnôm and Chữhán characters in Loan words for phonetic transliteration. And eventually to make Hán-Nôm as a serious, modern, legitimate alternative writing system for the Vietnamese language.
Welcome to Participate[𢯢]
Everyone who familiar with Hán-Nôm is welcomed to participate the Nom Standardization Project.
Generally, the Standard Chunom characters are determined by the following two ways:
- Frequency of use in history;
- Opinion poll of a group of people who are familiar with Hán-Nôm.
In principal, the Standard Chunom should be determined based on Frequency of use in history. But there are many phonetic-loan Nôm characters in old texts. Phonetic-loan Nôm characters are not encouraged to be determined as Standard Chunom except those had been frequently used. Besides, There are also many Chunom have more than one variant which are used with almost the same frequency in history. In these two cases, the opinion poll of a group of people who are familiar with Hán-Nôm should be considered. Thus, if you are familiar with Hán-Nôm, please do not hesitate to join our discussion.
To participate, please pay a visit to List of Nom to be Standardized, then choose the Nom(s) you would like to standardize, and add you opinions to the discussion page (The detailed steps are listed here: Help:Vote). You are also encouraged to start a new discussion for other Nom, and you can choose the Nom you would like to standardize from the List of Common Syllables by Frequency and Index.
Determined Standard Chunom are listed here :
Materials used for the standardization include:
- 嗣德聖製字學解義歌（Tự Đức thánh chế tự học giải nghĩa ca）
- 嗣德聖製論語釋義歌（Tự Đức thánh chế luận ngữ thích nghĩa ca）
- Từ điển chữ Nôm (Nhà xuất bạn Đà Nẵng) ［Google Drive Baidu Yun］
- 字喃字典 Từ điển chữ Nôm (竹内与之助, 大学書林) ［Baidu Yun］
- Dictionnaire Annamite-Français (Génibrel, J.F.M., 1898)
- Dictionnaire Annamite-Français (Langue officielle et langue vulgaire. Bonet, Jean, 1899)
- 南越洋合字彙 DICTIONARIUM ANAMITICO-LATINUM. ADITUM A J. L. TABERD
- Grammaire Annamite suivie d'un vocabulaire français-annamite et annamite-français
- Tra cứu Tự Điển - Hội Bảo Tồn Di Sản Chữ Nôm
- TỰ ĐIỂN HÁN VIỆT THIỀU CHỬU
- Từnguyên HánNôm 漢喃同源辭
- 漢越辭典摘引 Hán Việt Từ Điển Trích Dẫn
- Hệ thống từ điển chuyên ngành mở - Free Online Vietnamese dictionary
- Cồ Việt - Tra từ - Tra từ điển và dịch thuật trực tuyến
- Tu dien Anh Viet online truc tuyen - Vietnamese Dictionary
- Daum 베트남어사전 (Most Sino-Vietnamese words are annotated with Chuhan)
- 越漢詞典 wesnoth@ustc (Most Sino-Vietnamese words are annotated with Chuhan)
- Tra từ - Từ điển Hán-Việt trích dẫn tổng hợp